Skirt steak should be cooked quickly at high heat to avoid toughness; marinating the steak beforehand can also help to tenderize it.
So let us take a deeper look
Skirt steak is a flavorful cut of beef that is often used in fajitas and other Mexican dishes. However, it can be tough if not cooked properly. The key to tender and juicy skirt steak is to cook it quickly at high heat and to marinate it beforehand.
According to Food & Wine magazine, “Cooking skirt steak over high heat on a grill or in a skillet will help to caramelize the meat and create a nice crust, while still keeping the inside tender.” It is important not to overcook skirt steak, as it will become tough and chewy. Aim for medium-rare to medium doneness, which means cooking the steak for about 3-4 minutes per side.
Marinating the steak beforehand can also help to tenderize it. A classic Mexican marinade for skirt steak includes lime juice, garlic, cumin, and oregano. Allow the steak to marinate for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
Here is a simple recipe for grilled skirt steak:
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
2. Add the skirt steak to the bowl and turn to coat it with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
4. Remove the steak from the marinade and brush off any excess. Discard the remaining marinade.
5. Grill the steak for 3-4 minutes per side, or until medium-rare to medium doneness.
6. Let the steak rest for a few minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.
In addition, here are some interesting facts about skirt steak:
- Skirt steak comes from the diaphragm muscle of the cow, which is located between the ribs and the belly.
- It is a popular cut for fajitas because of its texture and flavor.
- Skirt steak is often more affordable than other cuts of beef, making it a great choice for budget-friendly meals.
- The term “skirt steak” is believed to have originated in the 1850s, when American butchers would use the long, thin cut to make aprons for meatpacking workers.
Check out the other answers I found
How Do You Make Skirt Steak Tender?
- Pound it with a mallet to tenderize it and level its surface!
- Cook quickly over high temperatures and do not overcook it.
- Let it rest tented with a foil for 3-5 minutes before slicing to retain its juices.
- Slice it against the grain into thin strips (about ¼ -inch thick).
Video related “How do you cook skirt steak so it’s not tough?”
Chef Jean-Pierre explains how to make the best skirt steak by cutting it against the grain and choosing the right type of steak from the outside, as well as providing a marinade recipe for no more than 3-4 hours. He teaches how to grill the steak and prepare it with reheat potatoes seasoned with garlic and herbs. Finally, he shares his recipe for a chimichurri sauce that can be used to marinate the meat or sauté baby potatoes, emphasizing the importance of letting the steak rest before slicing it against the grain to preserve juiciness.